As the winter months approach, you may be wondering how you can keep yourself and your cargo safe on the road. Driving through inclement weather can be a frightening experience, and requires a substantial amount of preparation to be executed safely and effectively. Because long-haul drivers are responsible for maintaining long hours on the road with very few breaks, it’s extremely important that they do everything in their power to keep themselves and other drivers safe during the cooler season.
If you are responsible for ensuring that your company’s products or raw goods are transported safely and effectively, you may be wondering how you can find a trucking company in Minnesota that practices safe and responsible winter driving techniques. Working with a qualified, well-established firm is the best way to ensure that your goods are delivered to their final destination in a prompt and professional fashion!
Here are just some of the ways that truckers can keep themselves and their cargo safer on the wintry roads this year:
- Rest well: Driving while fatigued is dangerous no matter the time of year. It can be exceptionally dangerous, however, during the winter months, when roads are slippery and hazards can be harder to see.
- Find the right inflation: Before heading out on the open road, you should check the inflation level of your tires, and ensure that it is at an appropriate level for the type of driving that you will be engaging in.
- Don’t cruise: If you are driving on icy, wet or otherwise slippery terrain, you should avoid using cruise control. It can be harder to keep your vehicle on a safe trajectory if you are letting it do most of the driving for you!
- Watch the weather: For any extended trips, you should consistently check the weather reports for your current location, your destination and everywhere in between. If it looks like a storm may be approaching, you should always choose to shelter in place!
- Check the exhaust: Exhaust pipes can be clogged with dirt, ice and mud if you are spending extended periods of time out on the road. You should check your pipe to ensure that it is clear of any blockages, because clogged pipes can cause CO2 leaks in your cabin.
When you are counting on your goods being delivered in the winter months, you should only work with a trucking company in Minnesota that you can trust. Contracting with a firm that has a long history and a highly skilled team is the best way to ensure that your products and raw goods make it to their final destination.
Since 1949, K-Way Express, Inc. has been the premier trucking company in Minnesota. Our knowledgeable and talented drivers are known for delivering high-quality, prompt goods transportation solutions. You can count on our professional team to deliver your products or raw components in an exceedingly timely fashion. We are a licensed transportation brokerage company that can help you get your goods to their final destination quickly and professionally.