If you’re looking into renting storage space in Minnesota, you might consider investing in temperature-controlled storage, especially if you’ll be storing any items that are sensitive to changes in temperature or require very specific temperatures for storage. Climate-controlled units are available at many storage facilities, though they will cost a bit more money than what you’d expect to pay for a standard unit.
Climate-controlled units are typically located in indoor facilities. Compare these to standard, non-climate-controlled units that have drive-up exterior access—those types of units are much more likely to have the condition of items inside impacted by the weather patterns you experience in your area.
Here are a few of the reasons why climate-controlled units are highly beneficial for storage purposes:
- Outstanding control: Climate-controlled units have interior temperature controls, so your items are protected both from elements like wind and rain and also from dramatic rises and falls in temperature. Depending on the storage facility, you might have control over the specific temperature at which your unit is set, or it might just always stay within a specific range.
- Protection from damage: Temperature controls help you to keep your items safe and in good condition for an extended time. Significant increases or decreases in temperature can result in warping of items, or other types of damage. And again, because the unit is indoors rather than outdoors, your item will be protected against potential ice or snow from becoming a factor.
- Ideal for specific types of items: There are some types of items that benefit more than others from temperature control. Any of the following items will greatly benefit from indoor temperature-controlled storage units: electronic devices, items made out of wood, large furniture, books, collectibles, beverages and artwork. It’s a good idea to keep these types of items away from the elements, including fluctuating temperatures.
- Protection against pests: Because climate-controlled units are indoors instead of outdoors, you get greater protection against pests like bugs and rodents that might have greater access to your unit if it were outdoors.
- Long-term storage: These types of units are especially beneficial if you know you’re going to be storing your items for a long period of time. If you’re only storing items for a short period, climate control functionality is not as necessary. Storing items seasonally for a couple months at a time is typically doable without having to worry too much about the condition of your items. But if you know your items will be in the unit throughout the changing of the seasons, that may be reason enough for you to invest in a climate-controlled unit.
Interested in learning more about why you should consider investing in climate controls for your storage unit? We encourage you to get in touch with the team at K-Way Express, Inc. to learn more about the storage solutions we can help you procure in Minnesota, including temperature-controlled storage. We’ll be happy to speak with you about the items you intend to store and whether you might find it beneficial to invest in a climate-controlled unit for their storage.