Fall has arrived, and that means that you’ll start seeing more fog while you’re out on the road, especially in the mornings. Driving in fog in Minnesota can be dangerous, so it’s important for you to be as prepared as possible to ensure a safe drive, regardless of how foggy it may be. Following a few simple safe driving guidelines for foggy weather can help you stay safe on the road and reduce the risk of accidents and collisions:
Try to wait out the fog: If fog gets really dense while you’re on the road, it’s best to try and avoid it entirely. Try to find a safe place to pull over and give the fog a chance to clear up before you hit the road again.
- Stay focused: While you’re driving through fog, it’s important that you stay focused on the road. Eliminate all distractions, including your cell phone and any music that you’re playing. The more focused you are on the road, the more safely you will be able to navigate the dense fog.
- Slow down: When you enter a patch of dense fog, reduce your speed. Since fog can obstruct your vision of the road, it’s important to keep your speed low so that you are able to improve your reaction time. You should also turn off cruise control so that you are able to adjust your speed easily and react to conditions on the road.
- Keep your windshield clear: It’s important that your line of vision is as clear and unobstructed as possible during dense fog, so you should focus on keeping your windshield clear. Use your wipers to wipe away moisture and turn your window defrosters on to prevent your windshield from fogging up. If you’re about to start driving in fog in Minnesota, give your vehicle a few minutes to warm up first to ensure that your windshield stays clear.
- Use low beams: While a lot of people think that high beams help cut through the fog, they actually obstruct the road even more, since they reflect off of the moisture that’s in the air. Use low beams for the best visibility on the road.
- Use your signals: Whether you’re pulling off to the side of the road or taking an exit, always use your turn signals. If you’re parked off the road, keep your hazard on so that other cars know where you are and can maintain a safe distance.
Navigating challenging driving conditions isn’t always easy, but the experienced, professional drivers at K-Way Express, Inc. can provide safe transportation services that you can depend on all year long. We offer customized transportation solutions, including 48-state pickup and delivery solutions. We’ve been a proud provider of logistics and transportation services since 1949, and we continue to be dedicated to delivering exceptional services to our customers. When you work with us, you can feel confident that your products will reach your clients safely and on time. Reach out to us today to find out more about what we have to offer and get a free estimate!