Whether you need to move pharmaceuticals across the country or perishable food across town, temperature-controlled shipping is an essential component of the transportation industry. Even though refrigerated shipping is vital, it’s not always fully understood by business owners. That’s why we’re here to help.
Keep reading to learn how you can be successful in this vital component of the shipping industry:
- Choose the right provider: Shipping temperature-controlled items typically requires a pretty tight deadline; even being a little bit late can render the cargo useless. So choose a shipping partner with a track record of consistently on-time deliveries. Don’t be afraid to pay a bit more to ensure your items make it to the destination on time.
- Delegate tasks when you can: Business owners already have a lot on their plate. While it’s good to stay on the ball regarding your refrigerated shipping, try to delegate tasks whenever possible. From scheduling appointments to finding additional shipping capacity, a reliable shipping partner can take a ton of burden off your shoulders.
- Use specialized services as needed: Your everyday transportation partner might not be experienced in refrigerated shipping or even equipped to handle the job. While we understand wanting to work with the company you already know, it’s not a bad idea to look into companies that specialize in transporting temperature-controlled goods.
- Be clear about requirements: Your shipping partner needs to know all pertinent details regarding your refrigerated goods. Among other things, be upfront about the temperature at which the cargo needs to be kept, special handling and equipment requirements. If this will be a recurring shipment, make plans early to ensure your cargo will have room onboard.
- Package items correctly: Every item you ship should be packaged correctly to avoid damage. But when the stakes are high with temperature-controlled goods, you need to take extra care to ensure the products are safe. Utilize products like gel packs, dry ice and EPS foam to keep your goods cold throughout their journey.
- Track your shipments closely: As we mentioned above, temperature-controlled shipping requires on-time delivery. We recommend tracking your cargo from initial shipment through final drop-off. If you know your cargo will arrive late, you can alert the cargo’s recipient, so they’re not taken by surprise.
- Plan for the unexpected: Refrigeration equipment failure, truck breakdowns or accidents on the road are just a few things that can go wrong while shipping refrigerated products. Talk to your carrier about developing a plan for these emergency situations, so your goods won’t spoil or go bad.
- Stay in the know: Between government regulations and the manufacturer’s recommendations, protocols for shipping refrigerated items can change all the time. We recommend keeping up to date with the latest trends to ensure you’re not breaking any laws or going about shipping the wrong way.
K-Way Express, Inc. can handle all of your shipping needs
Look no further than K-Way Express, Inc. the next time you need a partner for temperature-controlled shipping. In addition to handling your temperature-sensitive cargo, we offer an array of shipping services to meet all of our customers’ needs. Give us a call today to get your free estimate or to learn more about our services.