Being out on the road as a driver for a trucking company in Minnesota comes with its advantages, but it is also a tremendous responsibility. In addition to being aware of and operating in accordance with traffic laws and regulations, drivers must also maintain a heightened level of observance and be able to respond quickly to different situations as they arise. This awareness is especially important for commercial drivers who must also take their own deadlines and responsibilities into account, all while driving a much larger vehicle than most of the others on the road. In order to stay safe on the road, it’s important to keep certain tips in mind:
- Be patient: Oftentimes, the thing that gets drivers into trouble on the road is impatience. Following too closely behind slower drivers in order to encourage them to speed up is a dangerous practice that is all too common. Doing this is practically asking for an accident if the vehicle begins braking unexpectedly.
- Be careful while idling: When your truck is idle, it is still releasing fumes that are toxic if inhaled in significant quantities. If you are sleeping in your truck or you are pulled over on the side of the road, turn your truck off instead of leaving it idle. If you must idle your vehicle, make sure to close all of your windows and doors in order to avoid exposure to fumes.
- Use your signals: Make sure to signal turns for an ample period of time so that other drivers can anticipate your moves and give you plenty of space to make turns, merge or pass other vehicles.
- Err on the side of caution: If you have to choose between driving the speed limit through a potentially hazardous turn or slowing down in order to give yourself plenty of time to make the turn, you should always choose to go a little slower. Even if you have to slow down traffic for a brief period of time, you should always make sure that you are driving at a speed that is comfortable and safe, even when that speed is slightly slower than the other cars on the road.
- Pay attention to signs of fatigue: Driving while you are drowsy can be as dangerous as driving while under the influence. Take as many breaks as you need to in order to keep yourself alert and awake while you’re driving. If you find yourself having to try hard to stay awake, it’s a good idea to pull over and give yourself some rest.
At K-Way Express, Inc., we understand how important it is to be focused and cautious on the road, which is why we hold ourselves to the highest standards when it comes to safety. We have over 60 years of experience providing effective transportation solutions to each one of our customers, and we continue to offer superior service. No matter what your specific needs may be, our experienced trucking company in Minnesota is prepared to accommodate them. Simply call us today to find out how we can help you with your freight, shipping and transportation needs.